Day 3

Number of accidental bug spray foggings: 2
Number of potential mosquito bites (despite using said bug spray): 3
Number of times my mouth was overpowered by Thai spice: 1 (but it was pretty bad so I’ll count it as 2)
Number of hours travelled in total: 20

As you can see from the numbers above, by the third day, I had already racked up a lot of hours of travelling. And with lots of travelling means lots of early mornings (you will understand as these posts continue). The day started at 6am with breakfast at the nice hotel. I thought ‘ah this breakfast is alright’, ate some eggs and that was pretty much that. I did not realise that this would be one of the best breakfasts i’d have for the next 5 and a half weeks… like the fried eggs actually had runny yolks…. and were heart shaped…

So after the tasty thai breakfast, we piled into the first of many buses for that day. It sounds horrendous but I have to say, 7 hours travelling across Cambodia and Thailand is a different experience to rush hour on the M4:

Honestly couldn’t tell you what this place is, just snapped it out the window

The 7 hour bus ride was broken up into a number of stops, including a 40 minute queue for a Cambodia visa (that wasn’t super enjoyable) and then a shorter queue to cross the border. A 40 minute queue carrying all my travelling possessions in a room with like, two fans wasn’t my idea of fun, especially in the 40 degree heat, but it was manageable. And then we were then in the beautiful ‘Kingdom of Cambodia’

‘Kingdom of Cambodia’ ft. the BT man’s worst nightmare

A few bus rides later and we reached the hostel in Siem Reap. There was a pool which didn’t have a closing time: I was happy.

The evening was an interesting one; and by that I mean I ate some fried bugs. A bit of scorpion, you know how it is: when in Cambodia. The rest of the food was pretty tasty and we even had a few cocktails (I was celebrating exam results… although I didn’t really need a reason behind a Sex On The Beach).

We then entered the market. So, in all my 5 and a half week of travelling, nearly all the markets we went to were night markets… and so I feel like I have learnt a bit about them and feel informed enough to say: don’t buy tat. This was my first night market experience: and I bought tat. I bought 2 pairs of elephant trousers… WHICH I NEVER WORE; 2 t shirts- which have since become gym tops; and a pair of shorts, which got a huge hole in. I had gone a bit mad with all the money I had got out and would regret this later on in the trip.

The market was interesting, like I said: a lot of tat, but it had more than just tat: something that would make it quite special: As we wandered towards the back, we could hear the faint sounds of Beyoncé… Suddenly bright lights came up and a topless dancing man appeared. And then another one. Is this some kind of Magic Mike thing? I thought to myself… The market stalls then opened up further to reveal a gaggle of middle aged women, feet in the hands of Cambodian men (a very odd place for a massage parlour). And then out from behind the topless men appeared: Ladyboyonce. (an awful pun, I am slightly ashamed). Ladyboyonce was a magnificent sight: us girls agreed that those moves were not something we could easily achieve. Stunned by this drag performance, we continued to watch as more ladyboys entered the stage and fought for the mic. There were wigs everywhere.

After what was quite a glorious moment, we went back to the hostel, and talked of potentially seeing a ping pong show another day…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s